ASHFORD CARBONELL CHURCH Shropshire

The small village of Ashford Carbonell is just off the A49 in Shropshire, 3 miles south of Ludlow.
(grid reference SO 525710  -  nearby postcode SY8 4BY) 

Ashford Carbonell was a vill of the Richards Castle (aka Burford) barony and the church belonged to the Mortimers of Richards Castle from 1211 to 1304. By the thirteenth century the family of Carbonell held the vill from Burford barony and around this time the parish took on this name to distinguish it from Ashford Bowdler and Ashford Jones.

Before the Mortimer era, the church seems to have been a simple nave and chancel structure although both were extended in their time period.

Ashford Carbonell
© Steve Bulman www.churches-uk-ireland.org

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church  click here