BIRLEY CHURCH Herefordshire

Birley is a small settlement just to the east of the A4110 about 10 miles north of Hereford and 5 miles south-west of Leominster.
(grid reference SO 454534  -  postcode HR4 8ET)

Birley was a vill that was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore at Domesday (1086).

Birley
Photo: Philip Halling  (CC BY-SA 2.0 licence)

The church would appear to have an early nave with later chancel attached via a late thirteenth century chancel arch. The south chapel, next to the Norman south door, was added later again, probably towards the end of the fourteenth century, but the rectangular west tower could well date back to the twelfth century. The church was restored in 1873-4. The font is an interesting example with saltire crosses amongst its decoration.

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church click here
.