The village of Bwlch is on the A40 between Brecon (8 miles) and Abergavenny (12 miles).
From Bwlch take the B4560 northwards towards Talgarth.
The castle remains are close to the road. Take the lane on the left about a kilometre from Bwlch.
SO 145229

Article by Paul Remfry
For more details see


This fortress was the centre of the FitzHerbert Barony of Talgarth founded in 1208. The castle was seized by the Crown after the abortive uprisings of 1321-2 and given to the Despensers until their overthrow late in 1326. The castle by this time was nearly ruinous and an inquisition by jury of 23 January 1337 held at the castle found numerous defects which suggests that the castle had never recovered from the attentions of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd in the 1260s. The castle was in the hands of the Mortimers of Chirk from 1310 to 1322 and the Mortimers of Wigmore from 1326 to 1330 and then again from 1352 until 1425.

Photo: Paul Remfry