BODENHAM CHURCH Herefordshire

Bodenham is just off the A417, about 8 miles south of Leominster and 9 miles north of Hereford.
(grid reference SO 530509  -  postcode HR1 3JU)

Bodenham was part of the Richards Castle barony and therefore the church belonged to the Mortimers of Richards Castle from 1211 to 1304. It is possible, therefore, that they were responsible for much of the church which can be seen today.

This consists of an early nave, of which only portions of the east end survives. The rest, the chancel, west tower, porch and nave aisles with their arcades, could well date from about 1300. Interestingly the pyramidal tower roof overlies the stump of an incomplete recessed spire. Perhaps this change of plan might be dated to the troubles in Burford (aka Richards Castle) barony during 1304-07. Within the church is an effigy of a mother and child which might also be within the Mortimer timespan of the church.

Bodenham
Photo: © Michael Patterson

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church click here