BONBY CHURCH Lincolnshire

Bonby is about 14 miles north-east of Scunthorpe and 7 miles south-west of the Humber Bridge.
(grid reference TA 003155  -  nearby postcode DN20 0PR)

Bonby was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore from, probably, 1075. It passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.

The original Mortimer-age church may survive in the shape of the early nave with thirteenth and fifteenth century windows. The northern arcade was blocked apparently in the thirteenth century. The early round topped south doorway is also blocked. The brick chancel dates from 1894, although the font could date back to Mortimer times.

Bonby
Photo: ┬ęDavid Wright (CC BY-SA 2.0 Licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church click here