BOTLEY CHURCH Hampshire

Botley is on the A334, about 7 miles east of Southampton
The remains of the medieval church are about half-a-mile south of the village at the end of Church Lane  (grid reference SU 510120  -  postcode SO30 3EQ)
The new church is in Botley High Street -(grid reference SU 511130  -  postcode SO30 2EA)

Botley was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore from, probably, 1075.

The nave of the medieval church was destroyed in the 18th century by a falling tree and all that remains now is the chancel. This proved too small for the growing population. The centre of the village had moved away to the north and the walk over the fields was difficult for some. So a new church was built in the 19th century and the old one became redundant.

Botley
Photo: ¬©Richard Dorrell  (CC SA-BY 2.0 Licence)

An early font was discovered by the river and this is now set within its nineteenth century Gothic-style replacement in the new church.

Article based partly on notes from Paul Remfry.
For more about the church and manor  click here