BRIMPTON CHURCH Berkshire

The village of Brimpton lies about 1 mile south of the A4, 7 miles east of Newbury and 13 miles south-west of Reading.
(grid reference SU 557647  -  postcode RG7 4TJ)

Brimpton was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore at Domesday and appears to have remained in their hands until the death of Edmund, 5th Earl of March in 1425 when it passed to his nephew, Richard of York (d1460). It was then held by Richard's widow, Cecily Neville, until her death in 1495 when it passed to the Crown.

Unfortunately the medieval church has been destroyed and replaced by a Victorian structure. However the new church does contain the old font, which is possibly twelfth century, and several effigies of interest.

Brimpton
Photo: © Jon Glew

Article compiled by Hugh Wood using notes from Paul Remfry.
For more information on the history of the manor of Brimpton click here