BUBWITH CHURCH North Yorkshire

Bubwith is a village that used to be in the East Riding of Yorkshire. It is on the A163 about 8 miles north-east of Selby. The church is on the south side of the village near the River Derwent.
(grid reference SE 712362  -  postcode YO8 6LR)

Bubwith, together with nearby Breighton, were held by the Mortimers of Wigmore from, probably, 1075. They passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.

The church appears to date to after the Mortimers lost control of this district. The earliest part is the nave which is probably late twelfth century. This was flanked by aisles in the thirteenth century and a chancel slightly later, although the older round-headed chancel arch was retained. Above the chancel arch within the chancel is a small winged figure in relief which could date back to the twelfth century. The west tower was built from funds supplied by the will of Bishop Nicholas Bubwith of Bath and Wells (d1424).

Bubwith
Photo: © Adrian Fletcher  http://www.bellatrovata.com/2009/2009-2.htm

Notes by Paul Remfry
for more information about the Mortimer history of Bubwith click here 
For more information about the church click here