BUCKNELL CHURCH Shropshire

Bucknell is a village in south-west Shropshire, 6 miles east of Knighton, just north of the A4113.
(grid reference SO 335274  -  nearby postcode SY7 0AA) 

At the time of the Domesday Book (1086),  Bucknell was held by Ralph Mortimer (d<1137). Bucknell church was much restored and partially rebuilt in 1870, but this does not completely obscure the original church from the Mortimer era. The first church was possibly commenced before Andrew Staunton of Staunton on Arrow granted it to the Mortimer abbey at Wigmore in return for sanctuary for himself and his wife in the lead up to the rebellion in 1174 of Henry, ‘The Young King’ (d1183), against his father King Henry II (d1189).

The chancel appears to have rebuilt in the early fourteenth century with a pointed south doorway which has now been blocked.

Bucknell
Photo:  © Ian Hay-Campbell www.bedstoneandbucknell.org

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information click here