BURFORD CHURCH Shropshire
See also the article on Burford Castle

Burford church is about one mile west of the village of Burford in Shropshire and Tenbury Wells in Worcestershire, just south of the A456 next to Burford House and Garden Centre.
(grid reference SO 583680 - postcode WR15 8HG)   

Burford church was in centre of the barony of the Mortimers of Richards Castle and may have been commenced in stone during the reign of King Harold II (d1066).  The chancel is all that remains of the early structure.  In the fourteenth century, probably after the church passed out of Mortimer control in 1304, a new nave and tower were added.   The entire structure was extensively rebuilt in 1889.  There are many effigies of the Cornwall family, who succeeded the Mortimers, within the church.

Burford
Photo: © David Adams  www.churches-uk-ireland.org 

Notes by Paul Remfry.
For more information about the church click here