BURGHFIELD CHURCH Berkshire

Burghfield lies to the south of the M4 between junctions 11 and 12, about 6 miles south-west of Reading.
(grid reference SU 671684  -  postcode RG30 3TG)

Burghfield was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore from, probably, 1075. The vill itself is mentioned as far back as the sixth century, but the church was totally demolished and rebuilt in 1843. Thankfully not all was lost and a fourteenth century knightly effigy could well represent a Mortimer or retainer. Two other effigies survive as well as Earl Richard Neville of Salisbury (d.1460), the father of Warwick the Kingmaker. He lies next to an earlier female effigy. Both probably come from nearby Bisham Priory at the dissolution.

Burghfield
Photo: © Nash Ford Publishing  www.berkshirehistory.com

Notes by Paul Remfry.
For more information about the history of Burghfield click here