BURWARTON CHURCH Shropshire

The village of Burwarton is on the B4364, about 10 miles north-east of Ludlow and 9 miles south-west of Bridgnorth. The ruins of the medieval church are close to the Victorian church.
(grid reference SO 618849  -  nearby postcode WV16 6QJ)

Burwarton was a vill held at Domesday by the Mortimers of Wigmore. The original church is ruinous although the chancel arch, two doorways and two windows can still be made out in the early chancel and nave. 

A new church was built in 1874-6 but this has now been converted into a dwelling. The early font has been moved to the modern church which replaced the Victorian one.


Burwarton
Photo: © Jeremy Bolwell (CC BY-SA 2.0 licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry