EARDISLAND CHURCH Herefordshire
See also the article about Eardisland Castle

Eardisland is on the B4529, just north of the A44 about 7 miles west of Leominster.
(grid reference SO 420585  -  nearby postcode HR6 9BW)

Eardisland was an early royal property that passed into the hands of the family of Braose and then the Mortimers of Wigmore after the marriage between Roger Mortimer (d1282) and Maud de Braose (d1301). The vill then remained in Mortimer hands until the family's extinction in 1425.

The church itself has a long nave of apparently early thirteenth century date as also may be the base of the early eighteenth century tower. The nave was extended in the mid fourteenth century when a chancel, vestry and south porch were added. There are two recesses in the nave that would have contained effigies. Another tomb recess, probably of the fourteenth century, can be seen in the chancel. All are currently empty.

Eardisland
Photo: © Steve Bulman www.churches-uk-ireland.org

Notes by Paul Remfry
For a detailed discussion of the history of the church and the village  click here