ELTON CHURCH Herefordshire

The church of St Mary-the-Virgin is next to Elton Hall on the unclassified road between Ludlow & Wigmore, about half-a-mile south of Pipe Aston.
(grid reference SO 458710  -  postcode SY8 2HQ)

This church was granted to the Mortimers of Wigmore at an early date.

The church consists of a small nave and smaller chancel, both of which retain one original doorway to the south. A singular early deeply splayed window survives in the north wall of the chancel. The rest of the windows have been replaced, probably in the thirteenth century. The church was heavily restored in 1876.

Elton
Photo: © Hugh Wood

Notes by Paul Remfry.
For more information about the church click here