HARMSTON CHURCH Lincolnshire

Harmston is a small village on the A607 about 7 miles south of Lincoln.
(grid reference SK 973623  -  postcode LN5 9GD)

Harmston was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore, probably from 1075, that passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.

Harmston church was another early work, but most of it has now disappeared under harsh rebuildings in 1717 and 1868. What mainly remains is the early west tower and reused fragments in the eighteenth century arcades.

Harmston
Photo: © Gary Brothwell (CC BY-SA 2.0 Licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry