HEADBOURNE WORTHY CHURCH Hampshire

Headbourne Worthy is just off the A34 about 2 miles north of Winchester. The church is on the B3047 London Road)
(grid reference SU 493323  -  postcode unknown))

Headbourne Worthy was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. The church is an early site, dedicated to St Swithun, the bishop of Winchester who died in 682, although the church may not have been built until the reign of King Edgar (d.975). The Mortimers of Wigmore held the vill tenaciously despite the fact that Hugh Mortimer (d1181) legally should have returned the church to St Swithun's of Winchester according to a charter of the reign of Edward the Confessor (d1066). In 1300 Edmund Mortimer (d1304) sold the vill to the Genevilles, but it reverted to them with the marriage of Roger Mortimer (d1330) to Joan Geneville (d1356) in 1301.

The church consists of an early nave and chancel with the later addition of a south-west tower. There is also an early 'western chamber' which is where the tower would normally be expected. Despite thirteenth century rebuilding the north and west side of the nave and the western chamber still appear to be original as can be seen by the typical 'long and short work'. The west door is a fine piece of Saxon stonework and there are traces of an early low relief stone rood, which, unfortunately, was nearly obliterated during the Reformation.

The peculiarly positioned south-west tower and the rebuilding of the nave almost certainly took place under Mortimer lordship. It has been stated that the three bells in the tower all date back to the time of the Mortimers and are remarkable survivals. They are claimed to be a 4½ cwt treble dated 1380 and two further bells weighing 6cwt and 8cwt inscribed St Gabriel - 1420 and Sancte Nicolae -1420 respectively. However they all exhibit makers' marks which show them to be of early seventeenth century origin in Roger Landon's Reading Foundry.

Headbourne Worthy
Photo: © John Vigar hampshirechurches.co.uk

Notes by Paul Remfry
For a detailed description of the Mortimer history and the church click here