HESSLE CHURCH East Yorkshire

Hessle is a town on the A63, at the north end of the Humber Bridge about 5 miles west of Hull.
(grid reference TA 033264  -  postcode HU13 0AD)

Hessle was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. It passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.

Hessle would appear to have been an early church which had aisles added in the thirteenth century. In 1868-70 the nave was lengthened by two bays and the chancel rebuilt using older materials. A west tower with a spire was added in the fifteenth century.

Hessle
Photo: © Peter Church (CC BY-SA 2.0 Licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information on the church click here