HIGHLEY CHURCH Shropshire

The village of Highley sits close to the west bank of the River Severn on the B4555 about 8 miles south of Bridgnorth and 12 miles north of Kidderminster.
(grid reference SO 741833  -  postcode WV16 6NA)

Highley was a Domesday manor of the Mortimers and around 1150 Hugh Mortimer (d1181) persuaded its tenant, William Highley (<1135-62+) to grant the church to Shobdon Priory. It subsequently passed to Wigmore Abbey when that was founded by the Mortimers in 1172.

The present church would appear to date from before its granting to Shobdon Priory and consists of an early chancel and nave. The roof appears to be fifteenth century, while the south door may contain ironwork from the original building. The well-built west tower was added to the earlier nave, while the curious south-eastern corner buttress would appear to survive from an earlier tower. The churchyard cross is highly decorated with figures.

Highley
Photo: © http://www.sfhs.org.uk

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the Mortimers at Highley click here