HULLAVINGTON CHURCH Wiltshire

The village of Hullavington lies just north of junction 17 of the M4, to the west of the A429.
(grid reference ST 894820  -  postcode SN14 6DU)

Hullavington was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. It was soon granted to the Mortimer's first abbey at St Victor-en-Caux in Normandy and was confirmed as their property in 1137. Some monks apparently lived at Court House, north west of the church and one was killed there in 1194. Court House was the main property of the manor but by 1416 it consisted of a dilapidated hall with rooms and a chapel to the east and a chamber to the west. The kitchen, east gatehouse, a great barn and other buildings were said to be de-roofed or collapsed at the time. By 1443 much had been repaired. The church was apparently utilised as a priory by St Victor and it was occasionally mentioned as Hullavington or Clatford priory. It was suppressed as an alien priory in 1414.

Hullavington
Photo: © www.hullavington.info

The church is of standard design with chancel and nave built quite early with a slightly later west tower. Probably in the late twelfth century aisles, were added to the nave, with the north one apparently being built first. In the thirteenth century the north chapel was constructed and the north aisle extended with its north door being reset in the new wall. In 1872-3 the tower was demolished and the chancel and south aisle heavily restored. A new tower was built in 1880 and in 1907 the northern parts of the church were restored.

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more about the history of the church click here