IDBURY CHURCH Oxfordshire

The Oxfordshire village of Idbury lies just to the east of the A424 about halfway between Burford and Stow-on-the-Wold.
(grid reference SP 236200  -  postcode OX7 6RU)

Idbury was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075.

Idbury like so many other churches seems to have begun as an early chancel and nave which was extended and remodelled in the fourteenth century when the north-west tower was added to the north aisle. There is a reset early doorway in the north wall of the aisle. This has a round-headed arch containing a modified decorated tympanum. There are fragments of glass in the east window of the north aisle which include a mid fourteenth century female head.

Idbury
Photo: © Roger Sweet (CC BY-SA 3.0 Licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church click here