IMBER CHURCH Wiltshire

Imber is a deserted village in the middle of the Salisbury Plain military zone. It is only possible to visit the church on specific dates. These dates, together with routes to Imber are published here  as is more historical information.
(grid reference ST 965484)

Imber was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. The vill was first mentioned in 967 and survived until 1943 when the village was evacuated.

Imber
Photo: © Neil Skelton

The church consists of a typical early nave with chancel and west tower. The nave was rebuilt before 1300 and aisles added before 1400. There are carved heads in the corbel tables and a medieval painting of the seven deadly sins.

Notes by Paul Remfry