KIRK ELLA CHURCH East Yorkshire

Kirk Ella is a large village about 5 miles west of Hull and 3 miles north of the Humber Bridge.
(grid reference TA 020297  -  nearby postcode HU10 7TL)

Kirk Ella and West Ella were held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. They were passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.

The early church has disappeared and only the thirteenth century chancel and west tower of 1450-54 remain from the heavy Victorian rebuilding.

Kirk Ella
Photo: © Stephen Horncastle (CC BY-SA 2.0 Licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the history of Kirk Ella click here