LEINTHALL STARKES CHURCH Herefordshire

Leinthall Starkes is a small linear village on the unclassified road between Ludlow and Wigmore about 7 miles south-west of Ludlow and 1.5 miles before Wigmore. The church is somewhat remote from the village, sitting in fields below the road on the Ludlow side.
(grtd reference SO 442700  -  village postcode SY8 2HP)

Leinthall belonged to the Mortimers from 1075. The vill was first recorded under this name a little before 1249, although Domesday clearly indicates that Earls and Starkes were separate vills at this time.

The church consists of a single chamber with a Norman doorway and three windows.

Leinthall Starkes
Photo © Hugh Wood

Notes by Paul Remfry
For a detailed description of the church click here