MARTLEY CHURCH Worcestershire

The Worcestershire village of Martley is on the B4204 about 7 miles north-west of Worcester.
(grid reference: SO 756598  -  postcode: WR6 6QA) 

It is uncertain how Martley church became under the patronage of the Mortimers, but in 1315 a Mortimer chapel was consecrated to the south of the early twelfth century chancel. This has since been demolished. The chancel had its north wall rebuilt early in the thirteenth century and the east wall early in the fourteenth when a priest's door was added to the Mortimer chapel. The nave still contains two reset doorways of the early twelfth century to north and south. The north doorway projects half an inch from the newer wall. The west tower is fifteenth century. The roofs would all appear to be early fourteenth century.

Within the chancel there are wall paintings some of which would appear to be late thirteenth century and others from the fifteenth. The church is particularly notable for an effigy believed to be Sir Hugh Mortimer, lord of Tedstone Wafre and Martley who died fighting with Richard of York at Wakefield in 1460. Sir Hugh was a direct descendant of Roger Mortimer of Chirk (d1326) and an ancester of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester (d1588).

Martley
Photo: © Bob Embleton (CC BY-SA 2.0 licence)

Notes based mainly on those of Paul Remfry
For more information on the church click here