NORTH BADDESLEY CHURCH Hampshire

The village of North Baddesley lies to the north of Southampton, about 3 miles east of Romsey. The old church of St John the Baptist is some distance from the village to the north-east, about half a mile beyond the A27.
(grid reference SU 403209 - postcode SO52 9DF)

North Baddesley was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. Around 1160 the church was granted to the Hospitallers.

Of the old church little remains before the fifteenth century and the west tower was built in 1674. The chancel was originally narrower than the nave, but this was rebuilt in the fifteenth century as a single width building. A Hospitaller altar tomb remains in the chancel.

North Baddesley
Photo: © David Martin (CC BY-SA 2.90 licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information on the history of the area click here