PEMBRIDGE CHURCH Herefordshire

The village of Pembridge lies on the A44, about halfway between Leominster and Kington.
(grid reference SO 391581 - postcode HR6 9EA)

Pembridge castle and church came into Mortimer hands in 1265 when the castle was probably demolished. Within the church are some fine carved effigy monuments of probably local dignitaries. The destroyed medieval windows once depicted the arms of Mortimer, Braose, Geneville and Grandison.

Pembridge
Photo: © Stephen Nunney

The current chancel of Pembridge church was probably begun before the thirteenth century when it had chapels attached to north and south, some slight traces of which still remain in the south wall of the chancel. The stiff leaf capital of a blocked arch probably dates to twenty years either side of 1200. In the first half of the fourteenth century, when under Mortimer control, the large nave, aisles and transepts were added, probably destroying all trace of their predecessors. Possibly this was done for the marriage of Roger Mortimer (d1330) and Joan de Geneville in 1301. This event is recorded in the Wigmore Chronicle.

The fourteenth century clerestory to north and south has four circular windows similar to those seen at Aymestrey. The nail-studded door within the north porch would appear to be fourteenth century.

The detached bell tower seems to be of early thirteenth century origin although it was reconstructed around the end of the fifteenth century. The timber-framed structure was surrounded by a later octagonal wall to make a ground floor ambulatory.

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church click here