SIDBURY CHURCH Shropshire

The village of Sidbury lies about a mile to the west of the B4363 about 6 miles south of Bridgnorth and 10 miles north of Cleobury Mortimer. The church is on the north side of the village, at the site of the medieval village.
(grid reference SO 684858 - postcode WV16 6PY)

Sidbury was was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore at Domesday (1086).

The church has an ancient nave complete with herringbone masonry, while the chancel is rather later. The west door into the nave is early and fine, being over ten feet high. The font is also early and carries a representation of a dragon. Remains of a medieval wall painting seem to show the Adoration of the Magi. The church was extensively rebuilt after a fire in 1912.

Sidbury
Photo: © Neil Owen (CC BY-SA 2.0 licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church click here