SILCHESTER CHURCH Hampshire

Silchester is in a Roman town just to the east of the A340, about 16 miles south-west of Reading and 10 miles north of Basingstoke. It is close to the village of Mortimer in Berkshire. The church of St Mary is situated within the walls of the Roman site, a mile or so to the east of the centre of the village.
(grid reference SU 643624 - postcode RG7 2HH)

Silchester was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075.

This is an early church with nave and in this case a long chancel. Around 1200 a north aisle was added to the nave and a south aisle over a hundred years later. A female effigy in the church has been identified as Margaret Cusancia (d.1300).

Silchester
Photo: © Colin Smith (CC BY-SA 2.0 licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry

For detailed information about the church click here