THORNTON CHURCH East Yorkshire

The settlement of Thornton is on unclassified roads about 5 miles south-west of Pocklington.
(grid reference SE 760452 - postcode YO42 4RZ)

Thornton was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075 and passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.

An early church of nave and chancel remains, although it was enlarged with a north aisle in the fourteenth century.

Thonton
Photo: © http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/

Notes by Paul Remfry
For detailed information about Thornton click here