WIGMORE CHURCH Herefordshire
See also the article on Wigmore Castle

The village of Wigmore is in north Herefordshire on the A4110, about 8 miles south-west of Ludlow and 21 miles north-west of Hereford.
(grid reference SO 413691 - nearby postcode HR6 9UA)

Wigmore church was probably originally a Saxon structure consisting of a large nave and a chancel. Wigmore Castle was the caput (or headquarters) of the Mortimers of Wigmore and the church came into their hands in 1075.

The north wall of the nave still has much herringbone masonry in its make-up and this may well be from the first millennium AD. Probably the entire early church was built in this style. Internally one possibly original light remains and some shattered fourteenth century glass is in the east window of the south aisle. In the thirteenth century the west wall of the nave was demolished and a rectangular tower constructed. Around the same time a chancel was added to the east end, together with a southern aisle which was built on sloping ground against the nave. In the fourteenth century a chapel was added to the north front of the nave, of which over half still survives. The nave roof is probably fifteenth century.

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about Wigmore church click here

Wigmore
Photo: ©  St James Wigmore