WOLFERLOW CHURCH Herefordshire

The small settlement of Wolferlow lies about 6 miles north of Bromyard, just to the west of the B4203.
(grid reference SO 669617 - postcode HR7 4QA)

Wolferlow was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore at Domesday. In the late thirteenth century it passed into the hands of the Mortimers of Chirk.

Much remains of the original nave and chancel church, including two doorways and the chancel arch, despite the heavy rebuildings of 1863 and 1890-94. The female effigy within the church could well belong to a Mortimer Lady.

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the church click here

Wolferlow
Photo: © Philip Halling (CC BY-SA 2.0 licence)