ALDERTON CHURCH  Wiltshire

Alderton is a small village just to the north of the M4 between junctions 17 and 18.
(grid reference ST 842831  -  nearby postcode SN14 6NL) 

Alderton was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from as early as 1075. This is a large church, now in a cruciform style that was likely to have been largely built under Mortimer patronage. It was largely rebuilt in 1845.

Alderton Wiltshire
Photo: © Kevin Farmer

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the Mortimer manor of Alderton click here
For for more information about Alderton church click here


Mortimer History Society                   Charity No. 1171392             contact secretary@mortimerhistorysociety.org.uk