Barton Stacey is a small village in Hampshire just south of the A303 about 7 miles east of Andover.
(grid reference SU 435411  -  postcode SO21 3RT)

Barton Stacey
Photo: ©

After the Battle of Mortemer in 1054 the headquarters of the Mortimers in Normandy moved from Mortemer to St Victor-en-Caux where Roger Mortemer (fl1054-1078) established an abbey. Barton Stacey was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. By the time of the Domesday Book (1086) it had been given by Ralph Mortimer (d<1137) to the abbey at St Victor-en-Caux.

The early church survives, but with many additions. It started as a simple nave and chancel which was given aisles in the twelfth century. The aisles were continued eastwards in the thirteenth century, leaving each side with two round and two octagonal columns. Finally transepts were added and a western tower in the early seventeenth century.

Notes based partly on an article by Paul Remfry.
For more information about the history of the church click here
Mortimer History Society                   Charity No. 1171392             contact