Chelmarsh is on the B4555 about 4 miles south of Bridgnorth.
(grid reference SO 721878  -  postcode WV16 6AZ)

Chelmarsh was a vill of the Mortimers of Wigmore at Domesday and was often used as an appendage by cadet branches of the main family.  In 1172 Hugh Mortimer of Wigmore (d1181) granted it to Wigmore Abbey.

The church has been much rebuilt, with a north aisle being added to the nave probably in the fourteenth century.  This still contains two fine contemporary windows and a much older doorway which has been reset with fragments of older masonry reused above.

In 1906 a plan was drawn of the church in which it was suggested that the north aisle wall was original and nave and arcade dated from the work carried out at the church in 1345 by Hugh Mortimer of Chelmarsh (d1372) when a chapel to St James was added to the structure. Looking at the evidence this seems far from certain.

Photo: © Row17 (CC BY-SA 2.0 licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the history of Chelmarsh click here
Mortimer History Society                   Charity No. 1171392             contact