The village of Kington St Michael is just south of Junction 17 of the M4, to the west of the A350.
(grid reference ST 904772  -  postcode SN14 6JA)

Kington St Michael was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. In 934 the vill was recorded as Kington, but seems to have become Kington St Michael before 1279, probably to differentiate it from the nearby Kington Priory.

The church consists of the standard early nave and chancel with a west tower of 1725 and north aisle of 1755. The nave retains an early twelfth century aisle to the south which has been re-windowed in the thirteenth century. The south porch covers the remains of an early doorway. The early chancel arch has been heavily restored.

Photo: © Duncan & Mandy Ball

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the history of the village  click here
Mortimer History Society                   Charity No. 1171392             contact