Kinlet lies on the B4363 about 4 miles north-east of Cleobury Mortimer. The church is set in parkland next to Kinlet Hall which is now a school. To reach the church take the narrow road opposite the Eagle & Serpent pub.
(grid reference SO 711810  -  postcode DY12 3AY)

Kinlet was an early Mortimer church held by their subtenants, first the Barres, then the Bramptons of Brampton Bryan and finally the Blounts. The church was granted to Wigmore Abbey by John Brampton (<1165-1221) sometime after he had laid the third foundation stone of the building in 1172 and probably after the death of his father in 1193. The Mortimers were passionbate about hunting. They developed a deer park on part of the estate and stocked Earnwood with deer, retaining it for their own private use.

Kinlet is a truly photogenic church. The nave would appear to be the earliest part of the structure to which a chancel and aisles were added, probably in the twelfth century. Built into the current chancel walls are blocked up and reused pieces of narrow windows, apparently of twelfth century date. The aisle arcades are perfect in their simplicity. The tower was probably added in the thirteenth century and the two pillars under its arch sport several carved heads which may represent members of the Mortimer or Brampton families.

It would seem likely that the chancel was remodelled in the fourteenth century and transepts were added. Some painted glass in the east window may be of this date. There are some fine Blount tombs of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. The curious half hidden effigy under the one in the north transept looks more like the effigy of an earlier female rather than a cadaver.

Photo: © Shropshire Family History Society

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the history of Kinlet click here
For more about the church click here
Mortimer History Society                   Charity No. 1171392             contact