Luckington is a village on the B4040 a few miles north of the M4 between junctions 17 and 18. The church is on the east side of the village by Luckington Court.
(grid reference ST 837840  -  postcode SN14 6PG)

Luckington was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075.

Today it is a large church consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, porches, chapels and a north tower mostly with fifteenth century fenestration. The south-east chapel is possibly the earliest remaining part of the church and dates back to the thirteenth century although it was heavily restored in 1872 when the chancel was also rebuilt. The nave, probably like the destroyed chancel, was early, but all that really remains of this are the much-restored twelfth century arcades leading to the aisles. The tower may be of the same era as the chapel although the upper stage appears to be from the fifteenth century.

Photo: © Graham Horn (CC BY-SA 2.0 Licence)

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more on the history of the village click here
Mortimer History Society                   Charity No. 1171392             contact