The village of Neen Sollars lies on unclassified roads about 3 miles south-west of Cleobury Mortimer.
(grid reference: SO 660723 - nearby postcode: DY14 0AH)

Neen Sollars belonged to the lords of Richards Castle and therefore passed to the Mortimers of Essex when they inherited that barony in 1211. The current church was probably built before the Mortimers of Richards Castle died out in 1304.

The plan is of cruciform shape, with chancel, transepts and nave all radiating from a central crossing surmounted by a tower with a broach spire. The nave is possibly the oldest part of the structure and soon had the transepts added to it. The chancel was almost certainly built last. A blocked doorway can still be traced in the west wall of the nave.

Neen Sollars
Photo: © James Crabtree

Notes by Paul Remfry
For more information about the history of Neen Sollars click here

Mortimer History Society                   Charity No. 1171392             contact