Aberedw 1 is a motte by the banks of the river Edw, just to the south of the village of Aberedw at SO 078472
Aberedw 2 is in trees by the intersection between the B4567 and the road into Aberedw village at SO 076474
Aberedw is a 5 miles SE of Builth Wells in Powys

Article written by Paul Remfry
For more information and photographs see

Photo: Bioeddie

Early History

The cantref* of Elfael and the manor of Aberedw remained under the control of native 'princes' until the death of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, possibly near Aberedw, on 11 December 1282. Following this, Edmund Mortimer of Wigmore (d1304) expelled the descendants of Einion Clud from the district. Between 1250 & 1270 these men had been alternately vassals of Roger Mortimer of Wigmore (d1282) and Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffydd. In their place at Aberedw on 24 June 1284, Edmund Mortimer installed Walter Hackelutel, who in June 1264 had unsuccessfully defended Hay on Wye castle for Roger Mortimer against Simon de Montfort of Earl of Leicester (d1265).

Photo: Still standing (Bill Nicholls) / CC BY-SA 2.0

The Second Castle at Aberedw

The second castle built at Aberedw is situated on top of a steep slope made when the River Edw was rejuvenated after the Ice Age. It is a rectangular stone castle some 125 feet by 110 feet across. Apparently it had four corner towers and was surrounded by a ditch and probably a counterscarp bank, though this now can only be seen on the west side. The south side was badly damaged by the construction of the now abandoned Cambrian Railway.
*cantref: A medieval Welsh land division