The town of Montgomery is just in Powys, one mile west of the Shropshire border, 9 miles south of Welshpool and 22 miles south-west of Shrewsbury

Article compiled by Hugh Wood mainly from articles by Paul Remfry
For more information on both castles visit

Montgomery is named after the family of Montgomery who came from Montgomery in Normandy. Roger de Montgomery (d1094) was one of William the Conqueror's closest advisors and was created the 1st Earl of 1074.

Hen Domen Castle

This early castle is about a mile north-west of the town, near the river Severn
SO 214980
For more photographs and information visit

Roger de Montgomery built this motte and bailey castle between 1070 and 1074. It came into the hands of King John but proved susceptible to attack, being taken during Llywelyn ab Iorwerth's successful campaign into Shropshire.

Photo: Paul Remfry

Montgomery Castle

This later castle occupies a commanding position above the town of Montgomery.
SO 221967
For information on opening times see
For more photographs see

Photo: Cadw © Crown Copyright 2012

On his 16th birthday in 1223, King Henry III visited the area and decreed that a new castle should be built on a more defensible site high above the flood plain of the Severn. Shortly afterwards, he also founded the fortified town of Montgomery beneath the castle escarpment. When Montgomery was sacked by Owain Glyndwr in the early 15th century, the castle and local estate were in the hands of the Mortimers of Wigmore and for the next hundred years were held fitfully by them and by the Yorkist kings. Henry VII granted the castle to the Herberts.

Photo: Andrew Tivenan

The striking castle remains still dominate the plain of Montgomery and offer fine photographic vistas on clear days.